Thursday, October 16, 2008

Phillies Win

So incase you do not follow sports...last night the Phillies won the National League Championship and are headed to the world series! Had you told me this 5 years ago it would have meant absolutely NOTHING to me! I would have said "that's great" and went on with my day. I actually used to be really irritated by people.. mostly men that were so in to sports that it affected their daily lives.. like not leaving the house on Sunday's no matter what else was going on in the world because football was on. Or missing a family members random party because there was an "important" baseball game on. That was until I met Ed.... when we first started dating and I told him how much this type of behavior annoyed me.. his response was "yea.. well that's ok.. I'm not really in to sports that much" (exact words) so I was thinking ...I'm so glad for that one... BONUS!!! But the key here is to look at his whole response... he ended it with "that much"

After a VERY short time of dating,, I realized that Ed's idea of "that much" and my idea of "that much" were completely different. Ed is the biggest Philadelphia sports fan I have ever met. I slowly started to realize this the first year we were dating and I invited him to Marissa's 5th birthday party.. he didn't exactly say no that he wouldn't come, but he was acting really strange. He was like well when is it??? (it was on a sunday during football season) and at what time?? I'm not sure yet. I kept thinking what the hell does it matter. Are you going or not? Whats the big deal. I finally figured out he reasoning behind that months later when he was finally to the point that he would tell me that NO WAY am I going out while the game is on! So last night while the game was going on he literally could not sit still.. pacing the floor, moving his legs all around...it was crazy. He can't even eat during the games!








Here is him directly in front of the television... umm hello.. do you think if your sit that close to the t.v they might actually hear you cheering?? LOL This is about the time I went to bed.. not Ed he was up for the next 2 hours listening to the post game talk on t.v. I said to him.. you just watched the game.. you know what happened.. why do you have to listen to them talk about??? I will NEVER understand. And of course this morning he was over to Modell's before he even went to work to buy the championship shirt!! I don't think I will ever truly understand his obsession. I get much more excited over one my girls little league softball games! Don't know if anyone has ever seen the movie fever pitch, but Ed and I went to the movies to see it a few years ago and the whole time I was cracking up because the guy in that movie is exactly like Ed. Ed on the other hand found absolutely no humor in it!! HE HE I often joke with him and use a line from that movie... I say to him... You love the Phillies right??... but have they ever loved you back??!!

But I guess he does appreciate my tolerance for his obsession because today when I came home from work these were on the kitchen counter..


























Along with this sweet little note!!























I guess when you find someone as kind and good hearted as Ed, you just have to learn to deal with the sports mania!! He's worth it!

3 comments:

Tracy's Porch said...

This was great. I was totally thinking about the movie Fever Pitch before you even mentioned it in the post.

I understand his obsession! That's how it is around here with Longhorn football!!!!!!

Sweet, sweet, sweet of him to leave flowers and a note!!

Kristen said...

How sweet is he??? I do understand where he is coming from. I TiVo-ed the game so that I wouldn't miss anything and I had to go to bed so I watched the 2+ hours of footage after the game last night! Love it! And yes, Stacie, the Phillies loved us back on Wednesday night!
(love the movie Fever Pitch!)

alexis said...

image what it is going to be like on the game that they might win the world series