Saturday, September 13, 2008

Returning to Work, Stitches and a Broken Clavicle

Jillian and I managed to survive my first week back at work (eventhough it was only really 1/2 of a week). She did pretty well, except for that she has a really hard time napping with all of the new surroundings! The first day she only slept for about 40 minutes so when we got home she crashed for 3 hours before having dinner. It was kind of sad! Day two was a little better and by day three she still had only slept a total of an hour and 15 minutes all broken up throughout the day. I guess it's just going to take some getting used to. It is really convenient that my work offers a program where your baby can use the back up center right downstairs from my office for the first month that I return to work. It's great being able to go down and see her on my lunch break but at the same time I think it makes it that much harder. Everyone down there is really nice but I just feel like I could do a much better job of taking care of her and that while we were at home she had me to take care of her every little need where at the center she is one of 3 babies being taken care of by only one person. I guess that also will take some getting used to. I think it bothers me alot more than it does her!









This is a picture of Marissa's X-Ray. The Monday before I went back to work I took Marissa to the doctor after she had complained for over a week that her right shoulder had been hurting. While on vacation at my aunt's house Marissa was jumping on her trampoline and came over to me crying ( not screaming or really freaking out, just teary eyed) and said mom, my shoulder hurts. I need to go to the doctor. Knowing how dramatic Marissa can be, I told her she was fine and to put some ice on it and relax for a little while. She put the ice on but still insisted that it hurt. I still kind of brushed her off and told her that if it still bothered her once we got back home I would make a doctor's appointment. Over the next week she mentioned it a few times, but seriously did not seem to be in much pain at all. She had been playing and jumping on the trampoline again. We flew home, she went back to school and then Sunday night she was standing in front of me with a scoop neck shirt on and I noticed this bump on her collar bone. I asked her what happened and she said...that's from when I hurt my self in Utah. I felt really bad but still thought it was probably just bruised. We made an appointment the next morning and sure enough it was broken. We had an x-ray taken and then went to see an orthopedic surgeon. I felt horrible for not believing she was really hurt. Now that it has started to heal on it's own we were told that there really wasn't much that could be done. It would just continue to heal in it's own form which means she will most likely have this bump for a very very long time. We will have to go back for a repeat x ray and follow up visit. The whole thing made me feel horrible especially since a few days earlier when her cousin Addyson tripped and hit her face on the t.v stand....Marissa was so upset and was so nice to Addy when it happened. Addyson ended up with 12 stitches right below her eye and as her parents were leaving to take her to the emergency. Marissa was crying and told Jenny (my Aunt)... " I know that me and Addyson fight but I care for her" those were her exact words. Marissa has such a tender heart and is so aware of people's feelings and then she gets hurt and I pay no attention to it thinking she is just being dramatic. It was a rough week!!















































Did I mention that it was my bag that Addyson tripped over?

3 comments:

Tracy's Porch said...

Poor you - that is a lot for one mom to handle! Feeling for ya on this post.

michelle said...

oh my god addy looks EXACTLY like nathan! i always thought she was a good mix till i saw this pic.
poor marissa! i can imagine how u felt but can say im sure any mom (except a first time mom who freaks out over every little bruise) would have done the same thing.
glad work is going ok. i bet you are enjoying adult interaction!

Kristen said...

poor marissa!!! glad she's doing better now though! it's so hard wiht kids to be able to tell when they are really hurt. one of the kids i used to nanny for got her arm pulled out of the socket and didn't cry or anything and her mom saw her the next day and her arm was hanging in a weird way and she took her to the dr. (it didn't happen when I was there, thank god!) you just never know with kids!